All applicants must apply online through Grad SIS. This online application system allows you to upload and submit your application materials, and save your work at any stage. It also allows you to check on the status of your application, and whether materials have been received by the department. When listing faculty for letters of reference, please use their university e-mail address. E-mail addresses other than the recommender’s official university e-mail address will significantly delay the processing of your application.
Deadline to apply for Fall 2019 admission: January 5, 2019
- GRE scores sent directly from ETS. Scores cannot be more than 5 years old, dating from the intended term of matriculation at UCR. The Institution Code is 4839, and the Department Code is 2902.
- English language proficiency. All applicants whose native language is not English and who do not have a degree from an institution where English is the exclusive language of instruction must complete the TOEFL or IELTS. Scores cannot be more than two years old, dating from the intended term of matriculation at UCR.
- 3.0 GPA
- Application fee. For international applicants, $100. For domestic applicants, $80.
- Three letters of reference. These should be from faculty who have taught you and can attest to your ability to succeed in graduate school. If you have enrolled in a graduate program, at least one letter of reference should be from your current or former advisor.
- Two official sealed transcripts from all institutions you have attended. Transcripts are required in the original language and must be translated into English if not originally in English.
- Degree certificates. If you have graduated from a foreign institution, degree certificates are required in both the original language and English translation.
- Statement of Purpose.
- Personal History Statement. Resumes or CVs are not acceptable in lieu of this statement.
- Writing sample of 10-15 pages.
- Statement of language proficiency. Please indicate languages studied, level reached in each, and details of language acquisition (e.g. “I am a native speaker;” “I have studied for n years at the university level;” “I lived in country x for n years” etc.) If you have taken a standardized proficiency test in your language(s), please note what level you passed.
- Frequenty Asked Questions.
- For fall quarter, the official deadline is January 5th, but applicants are urged to send in their applications by December 8thfor priority admissions decision with funding. Applications received after this date may still be considered depending on the availability of remaining resources. The Admissions Committee will only review an application once all required documents are received.
- All official documents must be received in sealed envelopes directly from the issuing entity.
- Our mailing address:
University of California, Riverside
Department of Comparative Literature & Foreign Languages
Attention: Seabrook Mendoza
900 University Ave., HMNSS 2401
Riverside, CA 92521
- If you have further questions, please contact our Graduate Student Affairs Officer (GSAO), Seabrook Mendoza (951-827-1522).