- Lower-division requirements (12 units plus language proficiency)
- Chinese 001 through 006 or the equivalent proficiency. Students may pass out of some or all of the lower-division language courses for the Chinese major through previous coursework or by taking a language proficiency exam.
- Four (4) units from lower-division lecture courses on Chinese literature and culture: AST 030/CHN 030, AST 040/CHN 040, AST 046/CHN 046, AST 048/CHN 048, and any other lower-division lecture courses on Chinese literature, culture, and film chosen in consultation with the student’s advisor.
- Eight (8) units: CPLT 001 or CPLT 001W, 1 lower-division CPLT course
- Upper-division requirements (36 units)
- Twelve (12) units in Chinese language from CHN 101A, CHN 101B, CHN 101C. Students whose proficiency exceeds the 101 series should take the 12 required units by taking CHN 110 (E-Z), CHN 115 (E-Z), by taking the courses listed under (b) or (c), or by using EAP language courses.
- Twelve (12) units in Chinese literature, culture, and film from CHN 107, AST135/CHN 135, AST 136/CHN 136, AST 142/ CHN 142, AST 145/CHN 141/CLA 141/ CPAC 141/POSC 140, AST 148/CHN 148, AST 185/CHN 185/MCS 169, CHN 104, CHN 106, CHN 110 (E-Z), CHN 115 (E-Z), CHN 134, CHN 137, CHN 190, CPLT 142E/ GSST 142E, and any other upper-division lecture courses related to China or East Asia chosen in consultation with the student’s advisor.
- Eight (8) units in upper-division courses related to China or East Asia from other departments (with adviser’s consent), can include the courses listed under (b).
- Four (4) units: CPLT 193, Senior Capstone Seminar (CPLT 196 strongly recommended but not required)
For information about placement exams contact Suzy Sharweed.
Committee in Charge
- Yenna Wu, Ph.D., Chair, Chinese/Civilizations/Comparative Literature
- Perry Link, Ph.D. Chinese Literature, Language and Culture
- Daryle Williams, Ph.D., Dean, College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences, ex officio