- Lower-division requirements (4 units plus language proficiency)
- Proficiency in Chinese through the intermediate level (second year)
- Four (4) units from lower-division lecture courses on Chinese literature and culture: AST 030/CHN 030, AST 040/CHN 040, AST 046/CHN 046 or CHN046W/AST046W, AST 048/CHN 048
- Upper-division requirements (20 units)
- 8 upper-division units in Chinese language from CHN 101A, CHN 101B, CHN 101C, CHN 102, CHN 105, CHN 108, CHN 110 (E-Z), CHN 115 (E-Z)
- Eight (8) units in Chinese literature and culture from CHN 104, CHN 105, CHN 106/PHIL 123, CHN 107/AST 107/RLST 107, CHN 108, CHN 110 (E-Z), CHN 115 (E-Z), CHN118 (E-Z)/AST 118 (E-Z), CHN 132/AST 132/CLA 132/CPAC 132, CHN 134, CHN 135/AST 135, CHN 136/AST 136, CHN 137, CHN 141/AST 145/CLA 141/CPAC 141/POSC 140, CHN 142/AST 142, CHN 148/AST 148, CHN 185/AST 185/MCS 169, CHN 190, CPLT 142E/WMST 142E
- Four (4) units in Asian literatures and cultures: can be chosen from all the upper-division lecture courses on Asian literature and culture from the department as well as China-related upper-division courses from other departments (with adviser’s consent), including the courses listed under (b).
For information about placement exams contact Aaron Jurkiewicz.
Committee in Charge
- Yenna Wu, Ph.D., Director, Chinese/Civilizations/Comparative Literature
- Perry Link, Ph.D. Chinese Literature, Language and Culture
- Lisa Raphals, Ph.D. Chinese/Comparative Literature
- Yang Ye, Ph.D. Chinese/Civilizations/Comparative Literature
- Milagros Peña, Ph.D. Dean, College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences, ex officio